Frequently Asked Questions
Why are you building this SIS and FMS? Ours is great and matches our business processes exactly!
- Good question and the answer relates to the nature of the strategic direction that data, business practice and processes need to move in Catholic Education as a whole and CEnet members in particular. The Conference of Diocesan Directors (CDD) has determined that to inform viability, we need to come to a common set of business practices in all Catholic Schools. This project will assist in achieving this goal by putting in place a system to support a common set of business practices across all Catholic Schools in CEnet. CEnet, the NSW CDD and the NSW CEC all have similar projects in play to support meeting this need.
To utilise a enterprise cloud system will we need bigger bandwidth connections to schools and the diocese? As a small diocese we can’t afford that. Can we deploy locally?
- CeSIS and CeFMS will be delivered as a web-based system and you will need to have adequate bandwidth to use this. Adequate bandwidth is required for contemporary learning and teaching, for the upcoming CeD3 services, future National online testing initiatives, and other services moving forward.
How much will this system cost?
- Cost is yet to be determined. The SIS and FMS service is likely to be delivered on a subscription basis through CEnet's standard membership billing processes.
Are we committed to take the new system when it is available?
- Yes, but not necessarily straight away. All CEnet Members have agreed to use this SIS and FMS services over time.
When is it expected the new system will be available?
- Pilots of the service will commence in 2016. With a view to commence broader deployment mid-late 2016.
How long will we have to change over to the new system?
- This is dependent on the timing of your diocese. By default, it is envisaged that when your existing systems require upgrades or replacement, school will be moved to the new SIS and FMS.
Will all the components of the SIS be delivered at once? If not what will be the plan for change-over?
- Yes, but you may not need to adopt all at once. This will depend on your Dioceses ability to adopt different business practices and to integrate with existing systems.
If we have to change some processes how long will we have?
- Basically when your old systems require upgrades the upgrade process will be to move to the new SIS. So your business practices will need to follow this.
If we have to change some processes who will tell the schools/staff?
- The change process for each Diocese will be driven by the Diocese with support from CEnet as required. CEnet is intending to provide change management support to member dioceses.
Will the new system have all the modules in one system?
- All modules will be delivered in a single system (in the engineering sense of the word) but this “System” may well be made up of interconnected packages and applications.
What if we want to keep one of our systems, can we, will it be able to integrate with the new system?
- It is possible however it would be expected that Diocesan Business Processes also align. Each requirement will need to be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Where can I find out more?
- If you require further information regarding CeSIS and CeFMS, the first point of call will be via your diocesan representative. Alternatively, CEnet can be contacted directly via the Contact Form.